August 4, 2008

And the Oscar goes to...




Neil is apparently a great actor. Who knew? Let me explain- last week, Neil and I refereed a local youth soccer tournament. Every year, they have a scrimmage on Friday night where it is the Coaches vs. the Referees. It is a super fun idea and all the kids show up to cheer on their coaches and boo at the refs (like we're not used to that already), and there is a trophy involved and everything. Needless to say, the referees won! (Mostly because you have to be in shape to ref and you don't have to be to coach. Enough said.) Anyway, back to the whole Neil-being-an-actor part. During the second half, Neil goes dribbling in the box, where he is clipped/tripped by a player on the other team. Neil immediately falls to the ground, where he begins to hold his head and moaning. There was some serious concern on my part (and some anger, too- no one hurts my husband). I thought for sure that he was seriously hurt. I mean, the noises that he was making and the writhing convulsions his body was going through really made me think we had a life-crippling injury on our hands. My concern eased when he finally gets up and hobbles off the field. Our team takes the penalty kick and we miss (karma stepped in at that point, I think). Later, I talk to Neil after the game to make sure he was okay and he admitted with a huge grin on his face that he DOVE. For those who don't know what "diving" in soccer is, it is where you basically fake an injury in order to get a free kick for your team. The actual definition in the rule book is "attempting to deceive the referee by feigning an injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)." And boy, did Neil simulate. I believed him and so did a lot of other people, because he had a ton of people ask him after the game if his head was okay. I didn't know Neil had this acting gene in him, so I would like to present him with the Oscar of the Year for Simulating an Injury in Soccer. Congrats, Neil! Proud of you! :)

3 comments:

Crystal and Dustun said...

wow Neil you have changed since i last seen you, your head got so big for you body that you neck disappeared, and look at your hands talk about old looking! i laugh that he did that, lol

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kami said...

I didn't mean to delete my last post! All I said anyway was that the picture is hilarious!! At first I didn't realize it was a photo-shopped pic & thought Neil looked really weird ;-)
kami macey