November 17, 2009

To Vegas and Malibu and Back

This weekend, Neil, Sly, and I were able to go to California. Sly and I had signed up to do a half marathon in Malibu, California on the 15th, so we made a mini-vacation out of it! We left Thursday morning and arrived in Las Vegas that afternoon. We stayed at the Monte Carlo and mostly just hung out that night. We ate at a buffet and went shopping, then wandered around Vegas for a bit.

We left Vegas Friday morning and made the final drive to California. That night, we were lucky enough to get tickets to the MLS Western Conference Final at the Home Depot Center, where Neil's favorite MLS team, the LA Galaxy, were playing the Houston Dynamo! The game was a little crazy- there were two power outages during the game, and then they ended up tied at the end of regulation, so they had to go to a 30 minute overtime. This made the game last a ridiculously long time, but LA won, so it was totally worth it! The coolest thing is that the MLS Cup Final is next week, and LA is going to be playing Real Salt Lake- our two favorite teams in the final... this is a win-win situation!

The Home Depot Center in Carson, California

David Beckham himself
The day of the race couldn't come soon enough- I have been preparing and thinking about it for what seems like forever, and I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I have never run this long of a distance at one time before, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go. The race itself was kind of amazing- the route was along the Pacific Coast Highway, so we were running within view of the ocean the entire time. The views were gorgeous and it made it easier to forget how much my legs were hurting, ha ha! I was able to finish the half marathon in 2:12:37.4. I was 343rd overall, 156th out of the women's division, and then 33rd in my age division. I was so happy to be done- afterwards, we stayed at the beach and relaxed, then we ate lunch at In-N-Out Burger. Yummy!

Before the race- it was so early in the morning!

The road we ran on
Trying to catch my breath after I finished

2 comments:

Drae said...

Sounds like a great trip, Kami! I drove that road once last year. It would be a fun one to run. I love going to MLS games. What a fun game to go to. We watched it on TV, but I didn't see you. Next time. I'm excited for the RSL vs. Galaxy game. Who are you cheering for? We wanted to go to the game against Chicago, but we didn't want to make the 3 hour drive. I thought of you though because I know how much you and your husband love soccer, especially RSL. I hope RSL wins, but I'm a little doubtful. Nice time on the half!

Kami said...

I never could understand why someone would put themselves through the pain of a marathon...half or whatever, but it would be such an awesome accomplishment! Now that I don't have much soccer in my life I should probably do something like that so I have some kind of motivation to exercise!
I hope you guys are doing good!!!