August 29, 2010

Top of Utah Half Marathon

I signed up to do the Top of Utah Half Marathon this last Saturday in July. This is my second half marathon, and with how crazy our summer had been, I really slacked off on my training. I mean, why would you go run when you can go get ice cream or relax at the pool instead? ;) I finally got into gear about 3 weeks before the race (which really isn't enough time), and while I wasn't super pumped the night before the race, I'm so glad I did it! The race starts up Blacksmith Fork Canyon in Hyrum and goes down the canyon through Millville and finished in Providence. There were 2300 runners signed up for the race. I didn't start hurting until Mile 9, and other than a short stop to stretch out some cramps, I didn't walk the entire race. I did, however, have to wait at Mile 6 for about 4 minutes at the Porta Potty. It was painful to stand there waiting and watch hundreds of runners run past you, but when nature calls, right? I ended up finishing the 13.1 miles in about 2 hours, 8 minutes, which is about 3 minutes faster than the last one I ran. My mom and Neil were there to cheer me on, and of course my buddy Sly ran as well. She killed the race and finished in about an hour and 38 minutes. The course was beautiful and really pretty fast. Here are some pictures!

 Waiting for the race to start

Hanging out at the start line with Sly and Nicole

Mile 9- I can't believe I'm still smiling!

This is how crazy it was at the finish! People were EVERYWHERE!

Thanks for the support, Mom!

And Neil!

This is Sly and I after the race. We were so disappointed they gave us dog tags instead of medals!
 

No comments: