September 11, 2011

RRR Madness

So we did the Red Rock Relay this year. It's a 187-mile relay race from Brian Head in Cedar City to the mouth of Zion. Every time I do one of these races, as soon as I start my first leg, I think to myself: "What was I thinking? Why did I agree to do this, anyway?" But as soon as I am finished, I realize how much I loved it and what an awesome experience it was! This was obviously no exception. My team was awesome, especially Van 2. We had a great time, even with getting no sleep (we only got a 2-hour break between our second and last leg- and that didn't include driving time!). The weather was a little crazy- as we were driving up to start our first leg, there was rain falling and crazy lightning in the distance. Apparently, some lightning hit a tree right next to the road where people were running and it blew wood chunks all over. Everyone was safe and ok, but it was kinda crazy! Our first runner had to run in a hail storm, but it blew over by the time I started! I had a crazy 6.4-miler that was straight downhill- my quads were screaming by the end. After we finished, we grabbed some grub at Gandolfo's, then headed back to the house we were staying at in Cedar City and watched The Italian Job and rested. Before we knew it, we were back in the van and headed to Newcastle (this was about 9:00 at night by this point). We did our night runs in record time and headed to this house and St. George to rest. Our third leg started at sunrise, which was pretty amazing to see with the amazing red rock scenery. My third leg was really tough- there was a hill that gradually rose higher and higher for about 3 miles. The toughest part was I couldn't see where the hill ended because the road kept turning, so I was very glad to see it finish! The race itself was pretty amazing- we saw a little bit of everything. Rain, hail, lightning, costumes, sun, 5:30-minute miles (nice work, Mike!), red rock, and the best part... In-N-Out at the end. That milkshake and burger never tasted so good as it did that day! Here are some pics!

Finish Line! Wahoo!

Mike can play the ukelele like a champ- and run 5:30-minute miles!

That van was my home for two days...



Um. Boys are weird.

This was my last leg. It hurt so much but it was so pretty!

No comments: